America’s Missing Children: What Happened to Them
In the United States, someone under the age of eighteen goes missing every 40 seconds. Two thousand children every day in the US, 800 thousand children every year go missing in the US. According to the USDOJ (United States Department of Justice), every year, 11.4 children per 1, 000 children go missing in the United States. What happened to them.
- The Abducted Children
- What Happens to the Abducted Children?
- Where Do the Stereotypical Kidnappings Happen?
- Who Are the Victims of the Stereotypical Kidnapping and What Happens to Them.
The Abducted Children
Of the 800 thousand children who go missing annually in the United States, 8.6 percent, or 69 thousand are abducted. Who committed these abductions?
- Eighty-two percent, 656 thousand, were abducted by family members—fathers, mothers, aunts, uncles, et al.
- Only 18 percent, 144 thousand, were abducted by non-family members.
- Sixty-three percent of the non-family members abductors were known by the child or the child's family.
- Only 37 percent of the non-family abductors were complete strangers.
What Happens to the Abducted Children?
The “stereotypical kidnappings”.
According to the USDOJ statistics, there were 115 stereotypical kidnapping of children in 1999. The vast majority of those kidnappings, 71 percent, are are perpetrated by complete strangers; the remaining 29 percent are committed by people known to the victim or the victims family.
Of all the victims of the stereotypical kidnapping, only 56 percent are returned home safely. Four percent of the stereotypical victims are never found, 40 percent are found
dead. The typical stereotypical kidnapper is male (75 percent) and under the age of 29 (67 percent).
Where Do the Stereotypical Kidnappings Happen?
Most abductions by non-family members happen within a one-quarter mile of the victim's home.
Thirty-two percent of those abductions take place on the street and 75 percent of the abducted are taken to another location.
Almost half of the victims, 45 percent, are taken away in the perps vehicle.
Twenty-eight percent of the victims are taken to the perps home.
Fourteen percent are taken to some other structure.
Who Are the Victims of the Stereotypical Kidnapping and What Happens to Them.
- Sixty-five percent of these non-family kidnapping victims are girls.
- In 46 percent of all non-family abductions, the child was sexually assaulted.
- In 31 percent of the cases, the child was physically assaulted in a nonsexual manner.
- In 40 percent of the cases, the abductor used a weapon of some sort to effect the assault.
- One in five ultimately end up dead with 74 percent dying within the first three hours after their abduction.