This is a recap of HLN’s News story about a Minnesota Mom, Toni Medrano, who on November 22, 2011 admitted to drinking a fifth of vodka while sleeping on the couch with her 3 week old infant. While she was passed out her infant was smothered between her and the couch pillows. She was charged in two counts of manslaughter.
Nancy Grace’s opinion
Nancy Grace fears that Toni’s lawyer will try to get the jury to drop the charges and just let this Mom go to rehab. Nancy Grace does not see why this mother should not be sent to jail. Nancy Grace poses the question to her guests! Why is this any different than vehicular homicide? During the broadcast Nancy poured vodka into a glass to see how many drinks it would actually take to consume a 5th of Vodka.
Nancy went on to say that this mother knew that she was putting her child in danger. Nancy exclaimed while pouring vodka into a cup. "This is intent!! I am intentionally pouring this vodka into this cup with the intent to consume it!"
Nancy Grace’s Guests
Nancy’s guest had different opinions. One quest said that it would cost more to put this mom in jail for 10 years than to give her treatment for her disease of alcoholism. Nancy Grace rebutted, “We are going to be paying for her treatment anyway, so why not lock her up!”
The question was also brought up that the husband is apparently an enabler. Should he be charged as an accessory? He witnessed his wife drinking throughout the weekend and told her not to sleep on the couch with the baby while drinking or she will end up smothering the baby. Yet he did nothing to keep this from happening! He could have made sure that the baby was in the crib, brought a bassinet or crib downstairs and place it next to the couch, or, take the baby to a sitter. He also could have taken his wife to rehab.
Needless to say I am outraged by the events in our nation of so many Moms “accidentally” killing their children!! Something has to be done! As it is our country is in a population decline. There is already a shortage of young people! You can click on this link if you want to read the article I wrote about the population decline!
1. I don’t understand why any Mom would drink around her children anyway. Part of being a parent is to protect your children and you can’t do that when drinking, especially a 5th of Vodka.
2. If this mother knows she is capable of drinking until she passes out, why didn’t she just bring a basinet into the living room with her instead of sleeping with the infant?
3. Since this baby was born to a mother who is an alcoholic, how was it not born with fetal alcohol syndrome?
4. If this mother did not drink during her pregnancy why was she able to consume that much alcohol with her baby only being 3 weeks old? Most people get sober in 3 months after going to rehab.
5. If this mother took care of herself and did not drink during pregnancy then she would have had plenty of time to get over her addiction before the baby was born. Why start drinking again with a tree week old infant.
6. According to Dr. Phil the law says that if a mother drinks alcohol during pregnancy and the child is born with fetal alcohol syndrome then the mother can be charged.
7. This mother must have had a prior drinking problem because she had to DUI’s
8. Also, this mother’s 11 year old child got up in the middle of the night to look for the baby and could not find it. This signifies that the 11 year old child must have been used to his mother drinking. It is not normal for an 11 year old to get up in the middle of the night to check on his mom! This family must have all been used to enabling their Mom.
Time will only tell what happens with this case! I hope that some good can come from this. When someone in your family is putting the lives of young innocent children at risk something should be done. I know that everyone hates the idea of new laws being put into motion but when innocent children are at stake, I think it is necessary! If an adult family member witnesses another member of the family doing something that puts someone’s life in jeopardy and does nothing, then they should be charged as an accessory.
Needless to say, I am a big fan of Nancy Grace because she has a true heart and passion for those of us who can't speak for ourselves.
I am in no way affiliated with the Nancy Grace program or HLN and am not getting compensated for this recap! I simply have a heart for the innocent who need to be protected!!